Goals & Components
The Goal of Children's Ministries at SBCC
The cornerstone of our ministry is found in Deuteronomy 6:1-9. We are commanded to love the Lord with all our heart, soul and strength and to impress this upon our children. We also believe the children are to be a vital part of church body life and therefore are included in church discipleship.
Several principles drive our ministry:
- We depend entirely on the work of God's Spirit to produce fruit in the lives of all people at church, including the children. Therefore, we emphasize prayer as a pillar for the ministry. (I Corinthians 2:13-16)
- We seek workers who love God and are pursuing spiritual growth individually and in a home-group.
- We use God-centered Biblical materials in teaching. (Deut. 8:3)
- We seek to be God-centered, knowing that it is He who will draw the children to Himself, not our own efforts. (Ephesians 2:4,8-9)
- We promote the use of our resources in the home, believing that the Sunday program is but the tip of the ice berg in the children's Christian education. (Deut. 6:7-9)
- We seek to provide training and resources for parenting to the glory of God.
- We desire to involve the children in the life of the church as a valued part of the body of Christ. (I Corinthians 12:12-31)
Components of Children's Ministries At SBCC
I. Sunday Programs
Ministers involved in the Sunday program will seek to reflect their own relationship with Jesus Christ as they prepare age-appropriate activities or lessons that help children grow in their knowledge of God and His church.
Parents will seek to make use of the materials and resources for at-home Christian education.
Homegroup childcare is part of the church's function as the Body of Christ by:
- Providing children opportunities to interact with adults other than their parents who love the Lord.
- Providing opportunities for childcare helpers to see God at work in other venues besides the adult worship service.
- Providing opportunities for helpers to serve the ones Jesus called to Himself (Matthew 18:5).
Our Sunday activities for the children are to provide opportunities for the children to be introduced to Jesus through relationships with leaders and peers and the teaching of the Bible as a supplement for at home learning. It is to be a resource for parents to partner for the spiritual nurture of their children. Through the course of the preschool-4th grade Sunday program, the children will be taught the "whole counsel of God" from Creation to Christ (See 'Scope and Sequence' Material for details of the curriculum)
II. Parenting Enrichment Activities
- Parents are encouraged to actively participate in their child's Sunday experience and education. (This also allows parents to use the curriculum more effectively at home).
- We provide materials on line to ecourage their use at home
- Facebook page to encourage the connection of the church and home discipleship as well as discussion between leaders and parents.
- Meetings are held periodically of a topical nature to provide education and encouragement to parents.
- Seasonal activities for in home devotional use are provided during Advent and Easter Week.
- Articles of parenting information and encouragement are printed in the church newsletter. Books are brought to parents' attention and provided for sale in church.
- In the near future we hope to provide service opportunities for families to support this part of their spiritual nurture.