Homegroups meet weekly in groups of approximately 6-18 people to read and study Scripture along with the sermon series, pray and worship together, and encourage each other toward spiritual maturity and joy in Christ. Groups meet weekly in Goleta, Santa Barbara, and Carpinteria from early September to December and mid-January to May.
For more information or if you have questions, contact Erin Patterson.
SIGN UPThe fall session begins the week of Sept. 5th. If SB Community is your church home, you are enthusiastically invited to join a group!
What do homegroups look like?
Most groups are multigenerational and a great way to make friends of all ages. There are also some age-specific groups including young adult groups, groups for families with young children, and groups for seniors. Please indicate your preferences on your signup form.
When and where do homegroups meet?
Most groups meet Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday in the evening from North Goleta to Carpinteria.
What about childcare?
Some groups incorporate childcare, so if you need to bring your kids, be sure to ask about these when you sign up.
What do homegroups study?
Homegroups usually use in-house written study guides to follow along with whatever scripture we are studying in our Sunday sermon series. You can browse some of our past study guides on this page. All homegroups (except for Alpha) use the same curriculum.
I’m not very familiar with the Bible, and/or the Christian faith.
We’re so glad you’re here! Although you’re welcome in any group, we recommend you start with an Alpha group for a fun, low-key place to ask questions and explore some of the basics. For information about this option, email Lisa King.
What is the time commitment?
Group members can plan to spend about an hour per week preparing outside of the group by reading the Bible passage and reflecting on the Study Guide questions for that week. Weekly group gatherings are usually 1.5-2 hours. The fall session begins mid-September and runs through December, and the spring session begins mid-January and runs through May.
How do I sign up?
How do I get a study guide?
Check out the “Current Study” section of this webpage.
I still have questions!
Contact homegroups pastor Erin Patterson with any questions.
Fall 22 Homegroups
Homegroup Study Guides:
Printed study guides are on sale after Sunday services on the patio for $5 and in the office during the week. Alternatively, access a digital copy online for free at the links below.
Electronic versions of the study guide:
Homegroup Members Serve Together in Children’s Ministries…
What Is Involved?
• Each homegroup is scheduled to provide helpers 2-3 Sundays between September and June.
• This is strictly a helper role where you are assisting children’s ministries leaders as they care for and lead the children.
• Be ready to be flexible and serve at a service time you don’t normally attend!
• Helpers are placed in the following groups: Nursery, Toddlers, Preschool, and a few in Elementary plus one female Bathroom Monitor. These positions are available at all three services.
• You can request an age group and a service time, but Elementary spots are very limited and hard to accommodate.
Why Do We Do This?
Our church philosophy is that everyone in our church is part of our church family and the larger family of God. We believe it is our privilege and responsibility to care for our church family, including the very youngest members. As you minister to the children in our family, we hope that in the process you would:
• Meet members of your church family you might not otherwise meet.
• See God in unexpected ways and places.
• Find a role you may enjoy and in which you might like to serve more regularly.
• Enjoy yourself!
• If you can’t serve one of the Sundays your group is scheduled, you are responsible to find a sub for yourself.
• Carolee Peterson is a great resource if you need help finding a sub or working out a switch with another group ().
• All subs need to be someone who attends SBCC regularly and should be in high school or older.
• We really do need all scheduled slots filled every week!
The Day You Serve:
• MOST IMPORTANT! Please check in at the Info Table 20 minutes before the service starts.
• Report to assigned children’s area right away. (Don’t stop and talk.) Kids are arriving!
• Sick at the last minute? Call or text Rhonda DuPar at (805) 895-4274 or Carolee at (805) 895-4064.
• Those who currently work as a Youth Leader or Children’s Ministry Leader are exempt.
• Exemptions are not given for the important ministries of Worship, Sound/Projection, Info Table, Greeters, etc. since those serving are not out for all of the adult service when they serve in those capacities.
• We do give exemptions for health reasons or if there are other reasons where it wouldn’t be appropriate for someone to care for our children. We ask that if you fall into this category, please let your homegroup leader know so we can exempt you.
- Matthew Chapters 1-13
Winter/Spring 2022 (104pgs/1.1mg)
- Advent 2021
- Isaiah – Fall 2021 (60 pgs, 3mb)
- Genesis 12-50 – Summer 2021
- 1Corinthians-Part 2-Spring 2021
- Advent 2020
- 1Corinthians-Part 1-Fall 2020
- Apostles’ Creed Guide – Fillable Studies 1-12 – May-July 2020
- “Big Implications” – Mar/Apr 2020
- “And God Said” – Genesis 1-11 – Jan 2020
- Advent 2019
- 1 Peter – Fall 2019
- Minor Prophets – Summer 2019
- Psalms – 5 Studies
- Mark – Study by N.T. Wright
- Advent 2018 (14 pages)
- Daniel (102pgs/1.4Mb)
- Daniel Spanish Version (102pgs/1Mb)
- Updated Contents / Calendar for English study guide
- Galatians (72 pages / 494KB)
- Gálatas (51 paginas / 412 KB)
- John 17-21
(856Kb, 89 pages, January 2017)
- Advent 2016
(8.5″x5.5″ booket, 801Kb, December 2016)
- Romans 12-16
(57 pages, 1Mb, Fall 2016)
- Romans 8 Booklet
(34 half-pages, 813Kb, Summer 2016)
- Upper Room Discourse
(66 pages/1.2Mb, Winter 2016)
- Romans (Chapters 1-7)
(56 pages/1Mb, Fall 2015)
- The Temple Teachings of Jesus – pdf version
(110 pages/1.1MB, Winter 2015)
(66 pages/668kb, Fall 2014)
- The Book of Acts – pdf version
(90 pages/1.3Mb, Winter/Spring 2014)
- Advent 2013
(22 half-pages, December 2013)
(146 pages/3.2Mb), Winter/Spring 2013
- The Gospel According to Elijah
(62 pages/1.1Mb), Fall 2012
- Advent 2012
(22 pages, 679Kb), Christmas 2012
- Studies in Luke 3
(114 pages/9.8Mb), Winter 2012
- Advent 2011
(28 pages/4.2Mb), Christmas 2011
- Studies in Luke 2
(58 pages/1.7Mb), Fall 2011
- Studies in Luke 1
(124 pages/14.6Mb), Winter- Spring 2011
- The Cross of Christ
(64 pages/5Mb), Fall 2010
- Advent 2010
(27 half-pages/1.8Mb), Christmas 2010
- The Life of David
(82 pages/2.6Mb), Summer 2010
- 1 Thessalonians
(91 pages/3.4Mb), Winter/Spring 2010
- Advent 2009
(23 pages/2.7Mb), Christmas 2009
(70 pages/5.8Mb), Fall 2009
- The Way of the Wise
(64 pages/1.2Mb), Summer 2009
- The Gospel of John
(153 pages/6.7Mb) Fall 2008 – Spring 2009
- Advent 2008
(25 pages/1.7 Mb) Christmas 2008
- The Living Church Study Guide
(48 pages/5.8Mb) Summer 2008
- Sermon on the Mount Study Guide
(90 pages/804Kb), Winter 2008
- Studies in Philippians
(57 pages/.9 Mb), Fall 2007
- Finding God in the Book of Moses, Part 2
(98 pages/1.22 Mb), Summer 2007
- Finding God in the Book of Moses
(93 pages/1.24 Mb), Winter 2007.
A Faith That Behaves
(76 pages/1.61 Mb), Fall 2006
The New Testament Church: Promise and Warnings
(68 pages/726 Kb), Summer 2006
Colossians Study Guide
(76 pages/6.28 Mb), Winter 2006
Jeremiah Study Guide
(76 pages/6.5 Mb), Fall 2005
We Believe: Doctrine Study
(71 pages/5.3 Mb), Summer 2005
1 Peter Study Guide
(72 pages/1 Mb), Winter/Spring 2005
Matthew Study Guide: Part Three
(76 pages/1 Mb), Fall 2004
Matthew Study Guide: Part Two
(100 pages/1.6 Mb), Spring/Summer 2004
Matthew Study Guide: Part One
(130 pages/1.6 Mb), Fall/Winter 2003
Proverbs Study Guide
(62 pages/385 Kb), Summer 2003
Stewardship Study Guide (without artwork)
(25 pages/83 Mb), Spring 2003
Ephesians Study Guide (without artwork)
(118 pages/1.1 Mb), Fall/Winter 2002
Psalms Study Guide
(65 pages / 129k), Summer 2002
(77 pages / 896k), Winter/Spring 2002
(80 pages / 204k), Fall/Winter 2001
The Great Awakening Study
(25 pages / 78k), Summer 2001
Second Corinthians Study
(66 pages / 158k), Spring 2001
First Corinthains Study
(658 k), Winter 2000/01
Advent Study 2000
(113 k/30 pages), Christmas 2000
The Book of Acts Study
(215 k / 104 pages), Summer 2000
Holy Spirit Study
(80 k / 44 pages), Spring 2000
(328 k / 109 pages), Winter 1999-00
Teachings of Jesus Study
(196 k / 83 pages), Fall 1999
- Hebrews Study
(302 k / 145 pages), Fall 1998.